Copyright

Copyright © Sheryl Williams - Yardfanatic 2016. All rights reserved.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Compost Challenge

I thought I knew how to make compost. You just throw things in the bin, stir them around, and voila! All cooked and ready to go.

This Texas heat has changed everything.

It is near impossible to keep the pile cooking because it dries out so quickly. I also have a huge infestation of cockroaches and grubs. Again, mostly because I can't keep the pile hot. Ed and I keep adding kitchen scraps. And while I don't have grass clippings, I still get enough leaves and yard waste from the neighbors that should keep everything going. But alas, no rot.

The answer, of course, is to pour the water on it and keep stirring. It's hard to do that when you don't want to go outside because it's over 100 degrees. I didn't want to go outside in Oregon when it was pouring down rain and cold, but I did it anyway. Time to buck up and do the same here. I just have to figure out how to pour all that sweat on the compost so I can keep our water bill down. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment