Copyright

Copyright © Sheryl Williams - Yardfanatic 2016. All rights reserved.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Greenhouse and Chicken Coop?




My cousin Bruce bought property in Veneta that had a greenhouse on it. It was 32 feet long and about 8 feet wide and he didn't want it. Ta Da! He begged me for years to come take it away. I have had greenhouses before and know how much work they are. I eventually gave in once I had most of my other yard projects well on their way.

It is manufactured by Addco Greenhouses. It's a great design, really. The frame is 1" square aluminum tubing. The ribs and the shelves all tie in together in a very clever way. The company comes to your house and erects it. They use crimping tools to put it all together. I soon discovered that an Addco Greenhouse is not meant to be disassembled. I had to cut all the joints in order to haul it away. It took me several days to take it apart and sort everything.
I cleared a place in the yard and dug out a trench. Ed helped me haul several pickup loads of gravel to fill the trench.

My idea is to use it as a giant cold frame. I have no intention of heating or cooling it other than to cycle regular air through it. I plan on getting solar powered arms to open the louvers when the temperature gets to high. There is a small fan that is supposed to attach to a convection tube (which I have to replace) that I want to run from a solar panel. In the summer when it is really hot I am going to throw a dark-out cloth over it and use it to dry my herbs.

I also want to use it as a chicken coop. I rescued a set of nest boxes from the ranch in anticipation of having girls around the house. I haven't quite figured it out yet but I am close. I think it has possibilities. Don't you?



1 comment:

  1. Most excellent little plant/chicken home, Sheryl! Looks like you will be inundated with sprouting pansies, eggs and fertilizer in no time! ;-) I'm still haunting Territorial seed Co and eyeing their not-for-sale PVC/wood/visqeen knee-high portable tricks. Maybe next year I can find the time and cash to put one together.

    ReplyDelete