Copyright

Copyright © Sheryl Williams - Yardfanatic 2016. All rights reserved.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Beets!




Here we are almost at the end of November and we just now got a frost here in Springfield, Oregon. Finally! Maybe I can catch up on my weeding. I love living in the Willamette Valley but sometimes I'd like a little break from all this verdant fecundity.




I harvested some beets yesterday and plan on making them into soup.


I am growing the variety Bull's Blood. They are fabulous. The foliage is a beautiful maroon color and the beets are not too sweet. I planted them very close together. The beets that were thinned out ended up in salad or stir fry. This allowed for the beet itself to grow.

Of course, the problem with all that overcrowding is that some start coming out of the ground.


They are growing in raised beds. The soil is from my compost bin and I have added grass clippings as top dressing all summer. This has made the beds very friable and it is easy to pull the beets when I am ready to eat them.

I have cooked the beets a variety of ways. During the summer when it was too hot to bake I just sliced them up and threw them into the stir-fry. Now that the weather is cooler I have been roasting them. I cut their tops and root off, then give them a good scrub. Next I pop them into a baking dish and brush them with olive oil. I bake them in the oven at 350 F for about an hour. I peel them after they are cooled.
Next they go into the sauce pot with some chicken broth. I use my immersion blender to puree. Once it's heated, it's ready to eat! On the yard food scale it's about 75% pure yard food. Now that's living.





1 comment:

  1. sorry but beets are one of a few veggies I can't do... but I enjoyed your verdant (aka purple) passion.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete